These are a Few of My Favorite Things

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Old Medicine Cabinet Collectibles



I have had a lot of fun over the years collecting old items that would have been found in an early medicine chest.  I had a medicine chest with a clear glass door built to hold all of my treasures.  It hangs in one of my bathrooms.  I have several old shaving mugs and shaving brushes.  These remind me of my grandfather.  When I was a young child, I remember watching him as he poured hot water from the tea kettle into his shaving mug.  He would dip his shaving brush into the hot water then swirl the bristles of the brush around on his bar of shaving soap to build up a lather.  Then he would swirl the soapy brush all over his face and neck and then begin shaving.  I loved watching him do that.  He wore bib overalls and I remember he always unhooked his shoulder straps before he began shaving.  I am not sure why but I guess it was all part of the process.  His face was always so clean, soft and shiney when he finished.  One of the pictures above shows an old razor and hair clippers.  Just what the gentleman needed.  There's a box of lady's face powder, a powder compact and a small rouge compact.  There's a bottle of Dr. Brown's Castor Oil (yuck!) and a bottle of Watkin's White Liniment for the aches and pains.  There's an aspirin tin and a tin container of laxative tablets; also a glass eye cup and and a bottle of Murine for your eyes.  There are a couple of tins of saddle soap and some antiseptic powder.  One of my favorites is the 1906 date book that was a give away by a pharmaseutical company.  When I decorated the bathroom, I found a wonderful border with pictures of shaving mugs and shaving brushes.  We installed a mission styled vanity sink and mirror in dark wood.  Everything fits together quite nicely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment