These are a Few of My Favorite Things

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Monday, September 12, 2011

Green Tomato Cake


Although it sounds quite unusual, Green Tomato Cake is really quite delicious!  I came across this Paula Deen recipe last year and made it for my family and friends a couple of times and it was a real hit with everyone.  My husband asked me to make it again this year so I served it at our family dinner yesterday.  It is almost gone and my husband has already asked me to make another one.  It is especially good with a hot cup of coffee.  The Brown Butter icing adds just the right touch of buttery goodness to put this recipe over the top.  Try it - I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  It's fun to have your family or guests try to guess what kind of cake it is before you tell them.  They will never guess!  Here's the recipe:

Green Tomato Cake with Browned Butter Icing

Ingredients:
1 cup golden raisins
2 1/2 cups diced green tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 cups all purpose flour
3 large eggs
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup chopped walnuts
Browned Butter icing (recipe to follow)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt or angel food cake pan.
Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until creamy.  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.  In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.  Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well.  (Batter will be soft)  Stir in tomatoes, raisins, and walnuts.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 70 to 75 minutes, or until a tester inserted in center comes out clean.  Let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan, and let cool completely.  Spoon Browned Butter Icing over cake.

Browned Butter Icing

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup confectioner's sugar

In a medium suacepan over low heat, melt butter.  Cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until butter is lightly browned.  Whisk in confectioner's sugar until smooth.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That's so weird - my sister was just telling me about this cake that she made with green tomatoes and how good it was! Gonna have to give it a try!! (Hey, anything with a butter icing has to be good in my book!) Thanks for sharing! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete