These are a Few of My Favorite Things

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mystery Tea Pot




We like to refer to this beautiful teapot as our  "mystery teapot" because the circumstances that surround our acquisition of it remains a mystery to us and the story remains one of our favorite collectibles story.  My husband, Clark, and I have always loved stopping at yard sales.  We have found some very interesting items in some of the most unusual places.  One day Clark stopped at a yard sale and spotted this teapot without a lid.  He asked the gentleman about it and he said it was very old and had belonged to his mother.  He said he didn't know what had happened to the lid over the years.  Clark bargained with the man and got it for a steal since Clark convinced him that it wouldn't be worth much without a lid.  Clark thought that he might be lucky enough to find a lid that would at least fit it.  He's always up for a good challenge like that.  On the same day, he drove several miles on down the road, in fact near another town and stopped at another yard sale.  At this yard sale, there was a box of odds and ends.  Clark said there were several lids among the junk contents of the box.  He thought it looked like the lid might fit.  He paid the gentleman a quarter for the lid.  When he got back to the truck, sure enough, the lid fit perfectly.  He brought the teapot home and told me the story.   We had no way of knowing what the original lid had looked like, but at least we had a lid that would fit the teapot.  Several months later, I was looking through my current edition of Country Living Magazine and I couldn't believe my eyes.  There on the page was a picture of the teapot with the exact lid that Clark had found those many miles from the teapot.  It must have been meant to be that the teapot was reunited with it's original lid.  Now, if that's not a mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment