These are a Few of My Favorite Things

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Vintage Chairs










 I love the look and feel of old chairs.  I would rather have a vintage chair in my home any day than a new one but it must be sturdy and useable.  I can't afford the space to have something in my home that I cannot use.  I just purchased four ladderback chairs and a five legged oak table from a used furniture store that I will be using in the Persnickety Primitives shop as display pieces.  I frequently visit used furniture stores and second hand shops and I have gotten some chairs that I really love.  The first picture shows a glider style rocker.  It uas used by my daughter-in-law to rock my two granddaughters when they were infants.  Over the years, the chair had been painted white and was coming apart.  It had been left for the dump.  I rescued the chair and had my husband work on it to make it sturdy again.  I then spray painted several coats of black paint to give it a primitive look.  We love the way it turned out.  I have a large two toned dining table that seats eight in my sunroom with a long pedistal base and a wood grain top.   We purchased the table in the clearance section of a furniture store.  We had two matching old green chairs that I had painted black and distressed (picture number two).  I use them at each end of the table.   We have six matching chairs (in picture number three) that I use on the side - three on each side.  Four of these chairs were purchased at one auction and the other two were purchased at another auction yet they match perfectly.  It made a wonderful dining set for the sunroom.    The fourth picture down is a Windsor style chair that I purchased last summer at a second hand shop called The Briar Patch.  This is a very collectible style of chair.  The next picture is an antique child's chair that I bought years ago in an antique shop.  All five of my grandchildren have sat in this chair and played or ate snacks at the coffee table.  Children's chairs are very collectible and are fun to display in your primitive home.  Sitting in a corner or by a fireplace, they make a wonderful display piece for a primitive doll or teddy bear.  They are also wonderful hanging from a peg rack on the wall.  Displayed this way, they make an imaginative display shelf for many kinds of collectibles.  The next two pictures are ladder back chairs in two different colors and a little different style on the back.  These are a hot collectible right now.  You can't pick up a primitive or country decorating magazine without seeing this style of chair used in homes.  This is the style I also bought for the shop and I have four in my house.  All eight of them came from a used furniture store and I got them at a very reasonable price.  The next two pictures show an oak side chair with a cane bottom.  We have two of them that my husband, Clark bought at an auction and had refinished and recaned.  I love the look of them.  The last picture is the old upholstered chair that my Mom always kept in her bedroom.  It now sits in my bedroom.  I have a weakness for old chairs.  When I see them at a shop, they somehow end up in my car.  My husband always says, "Now where are you going to put that?"  It's getting harder and harder to answer that question - I'm running out of room!








No comments:

Post a Comment