These are a Few of My Favorite Things

These are a Few of My Favorite Things
These are a Few of My Favorite Things

Friday, February 11, 2011

Vintage Singer Sewing Machine











One of my favorite antiques is my Vintage 1907 Singer Sewing Machine.  I have had it for several years and it is in very good condition.  There are so many ways you can display a vintage sewing manchine in your Primitive home.  It can be displayed with the sewing machine exposed surrounded with other sewing collectibles such as an old sewing basket, wooden spools of thread and an old pin cushion.  With the sewing machine inside, the cabinet makes an excellent table in your family room or a bedside table in your bedroom.  If you have a cabinet that no longer has the machine in it or if the top has been damaged, you can have the frame fitted with another wooden top or a piece of marble to make a cute and useful table.
Even though sewing the family's clothing is not as popular as it once was, many ladies still find pleasure in the art of sewing for a hobby or crafting purposes.  I remember the year that I decided to make all of the ladies on my Christmas list a long flannel "granny gown" for Christmas.  I bought yards and yards of flannel.  It seemed like a good idea at first but by the time I had finished the last gown, I didn't think I was quite so clever.  I made my daughter several dresses when she was small.  I made a few mother/daughter outfits when she was just a baby.  One year, I even made my husband, myself, my daughter and my son matching shirts.  I still have my old Sears console sewing machine sitting in my office and I actually still use it sometimes.  When my mother passed away, I gave her console sewing machine to my daughter.  I sometimes wonder about the lady who used my old Singer sewing machine.  What was she like and what kinds of things did she sew?  Was she a quilter?  The Amish still use sewing machines like the one above since they don't have electricity.  This machine still has the original finish and the one of the drawers contains the instruction manuals and attachments that came with it.  The manuals are dated March 8, 1907 and is numbered 27-4.  Who knows, if I ever decide to become Amish, I'll be set to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment